Vegan. Gluten free. Paleo. HCG. When you are trying to be healthy it seems like there is a never ending list of diets to choose from. The problem with diets like Paleo and HCG is that they require numerous restrictions and modifications that can be difficult to stick with. For this reason, the clean eating diet plan has moved ahead of the pack. Clean eating is the concept of eliminating processed and pre-prepared foods from your diet. On this diet you will focus on eating lean meats, plenty of fruits and vegetables, homemade sauces and low-fat dairy. The diet is very easy to stick too and yields weight loss success for nearly everyone who tries it. Get started by cleaning up your diet with these healthy diet ideas.
- Cut the Sugar & Salt – Store bought sauces and condiments are loaded with excess sugar and salt. While these ingredients add more flavor to the ketchup we love, they also contribute to adding inches to your waistline. Make your own basic condiments from fresh vegetables, oils and seasonings instead.
- Cook with Broth – Vegetable broth is a magical underused cooking agent that is perfect for cooking lean white meats such as turkey, pork and chicken. Simply add ¼ cup to your frying pan before adding your meat filets and cook on medium heat. The vegetable broth will add plenty of flavor and you can add more by tossing in your own vegetables and seasoning blends. Most importantly, by cooking your meats in vegetable broth it will cook completely without getting burned and the meat will remain extra moist.
- Discover Vegetables – Eating plenty of vegetables is an important part of any healthy eating plan. But did you know there is more that you can do with vegetables than simply steam/boil/grill them? Vegetable soups are making a comeback in a big way. You can use your steamer to steam fresh garlic, onion and cauliflower and then puree it with vegetable broth, salt and pepper for a delicious and hearty cauliflower soup. Another way to sneak in vegetables is with vegetable pasta. Kitchen gadgets like the Vegetti are designed to turn your favorite vegetables like zucchini and carrots into fettuccini style “noodles” that you can top with your favorite homemade sauces and meats.
- Read Labels – Just because something is labeled as organic or all-natural does not mean that it is healthy for you. Be sure to read labels and look for products that keep it simple with basic ingredients. For example, if you are going to pick up an organic dark chocolate bar then the ingredients should be limited to milk, sugar or another natural sweetener and cacao. However you will find that many simple products like this are actually made with additives, preservatives and artificial ingredients that should be eliminated with the clean eating diet.
- Skip the Alcohol – Cocktails, wine, beer and liquor are all filled with unnecessary calories that your body does not need. A night out with your friends can quickly eat up your calories if you are not careful. If you are trying to keep your body healthy then it is best to skip all forms of alcohol altogether. If you really need to drink, avoid the fancy cocktails and craft beers that are filled with added artificial flavors and sugar.